Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bhendi Besara (Bhindi in mustard paste)

Do you guys remember when was the last time when you laughed your heart out? Laughed like it was crazy and there was no tomorrow to laugh at? Well something like that happened to me the other day. I still do not remember the joke, but I was on a conference call and something happened and I started to laugh. First it was a small squeal which I am sure no one heard.. and then things got weirder and weirder and I started to laugh.. laugh and laugh.. and laugh.. :)

Well yes, sometimes these crazy things happen. You know, everyone should get that kind of a laugh once in a while. When your stomach hurts and your eyes water and you get all breathless due to the laughter..

Someone asked me "What did you eat.. you are laughing like a crazy person" !! I said, I had some of my mother's mustard okra. It sounds like some English food, but trust me this is pure Odiya side that I am talking about. Goes the best with white fluffy rice and best suits any weather.

Here is what you need:
  • Bhindi (okra) cut onto 1/2" pieces.
  • One small potato cut into 1/2" pieces.
  • 1 small tomato cut into small pieces.
  • 1/2 medium onion cut longitudinally.
  • 2-3 green chilies slit across length.
  • 6 teaspoons of mustard paste (2 Tbl-spoons mustard seeds + 4 Garlic cloves + 4 Green Chilis + little water)
  • 4 Tbl-spoons oil
  • 1 tea spoon panch phoran (if you don't have that, just add mustard and cumin seeds)

Here is how I did it....
  • Heat oil in a heave bottom pan until smoke comes off. Use mustard oil if you like or olive oil's good too.
  • Dry fry the okra and potatoes separately and keep aside.

  • In the same pan heat some more oil and when hot, add panch phoran + green chilies.
  • Then add the onions after like 5 seconds. Don't let the chilies brown.
  • When the onion is a little brownish, add the tomatoes and salt together.

  • Fry for a while till the tomatoes fix up well and become all mushy.


  • Now, add the okra and potatoes into the masala. Mix well. Do not turn too fast else the okra might break.
  • Let it alone for 2 more minutes.

  • Now add the mustard paste and a 1 cup water and mix well.
  • Cover and let the gravy simmer on low heat. Whatever has mustard paste in it, needs at least 5 mins simmering.
  • After 2 mins of simmering, add a piece of dry mango. This is the best ingredient. Makes the dish totally Odiya.


Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with white rice. It will just reach your mouth and then automatically vanish into the tummy. You won't even notice the time lag between intake and the magical vanishing act. Enjoy !!

1 comment:

  1. I tried this tonight to woo my wife. Turned out great like pure authentic oriya dish. Thank you so much for sharing. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete